Re: Configuring multiple IP addresses on VLAN interface using ifupdown

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 11:36 AM, Chris Davies <chris@roaima.co.uk> wrote:
> Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>> iface eth3.77 inet static
>> address 10.0.5.15
>
>> iface eth3.77 inet static
>> address 10.0.5.16
>
> The Debian documentation at
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch05.en.html states
> categorically, « Do not define duplicates of the "iface" stanza for a
> network interface in "/etc/network/interfaces" ».

Someone pointed this out the last time that ifupdown's new use of
iproute was discussed on this list and Bob P. pointed out that the
documentation hadn't yet caught up with that.

I'm pretty sure that the last time (six months ago?) Bob linked to a
Debian wiki page (or I googled my way to one) that used multiple iface
declarations for the same nic (I've also used multiple declarations).