Re: Configuring multiple IP addresses on VLAN interface using ifupdown

Tom H wrote:
> Chris Davies wrote:
> > Tom H wrote:
> >> iface eth3.77 inet static
> >> address 10.0.5.15
> >
> >> iface eth3.77 inet static
> >> address 10.0.5.16
> >
> > The Debian documentation at
> > http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch05.en.html states
> > categorically, « Do not define duplicates of the "iface" stanza for a
> > network interface in "/etc/network/interfaces" ».
>
> Someone pointed this out the last time that ifupdown's new use of
> iproute was discussed on this list and Bob P. pointed out that the
> documentation hadn't yet caught up with that.
>
> I'm pretty sure that the last time (six months ago?) Bob linked to a
> Debian wiki page (or I googled my way to one) that used multiple iface
> declarations for the same nic (I've also used multiple declarations).

Yes.  This one.

  https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration#Multiple_IP_addresses_on_One_Interface

And note that in revision 61 2013-07-26 the ifupdown maintainer
updated the wiki page to the present form showing support for the new
style.  I consider that to be an authoritative statement of support.

I just verified that the new style works in Stable Wheezy 7.

Previously the wiki page recommended using up/down commands to create
aliases manually.  That was mostly due to a time when there was bugs
in the ifupdown program that didn't handle ethX:Y style interfaces
correctly.  I personally prefer the up/down style but I know that
others don't like it.  Each to their own.

Bob