RE: Configuring multiple IP addresses on VLAN interface using ifupdown

Hi,

>> What I use is:
>> -=-=-=-=-=-
>> auto eth0
>> iface eth0 inet static
>>         address 172.16.17.1
>>         netmask 255.255.255.0
>>
>> auto vlan100
>> iface vlan100 inet static
>>         vlan-raw-device eth0
>>         address 192.168.178.10
>>         netmask 255.255.255.0
>>         gateway 192.168.178.1
>
> This is just one address: Steffen was looking for a multiple-address method.

For that I use the "post-up ip address add ..." lines too.
On an external gateway I have multiple lines like that to get all the ip-numbers up for which that interface handles the incoming data.

However, if he wants A LOT of extra addresses that might change too, maybe some script that runs after the interface is up would be better. That way the script could use a database in whatever form to handle that.
Then he could use just a post-up /etc/network/lots-of-addresses.sh start and a pre-down /etc/network/lots-of-addresses.sh stop line in the interfaces file.

If each address is to have its own vlan then it is still doable but a bit more complex. I have never done it that way, I have had only a few different vlans that I was able to declare in the interfaces file.

Bonno Bloksma