Re: Configuring multiple IP addresses on VLAN interface using ifupdown

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 5:33 AM, Steffen Dettmer
<steffen.dettmer@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 9:40 AM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> works for me in the form of
>>
>> allow-auto eth0.9
>>
>> iface eth0.9 inet static
>> address 192.168.1.119
>> netmask 255.255.255.0
>> gateway 192.168.1.1
>>
>> iface eth0.9 inet static
>> address 192.168.1.199
>> netmask 255.255.255.0
>
> I used literally this (1:1 copied), but I get the same message I
> had during my tests, about already existing interfaces.
> Unfortunately they are not stored in any /var/log/* file, so I
> hopefully retype correctly:
>
> [....] Configuring network interfaces...Set name-type for VLAN subsystem. Should
>  be visible in /proc/net/vlan/config
> ERROR: trying to add VLAN #9 to IF -:eth0-  error: File exists
> Set name-type for VLAN subsystem. Should be visible in /proc/net/vlan/config:
> ERROR: trying to add VLAN #9 to IF -:eth0-  error: File exists
> done.
>
> Beside this looks as vconfig messages are unexpected (they
> distrub the screen layout), the big "ERROR" messages look really bad.

So Bob must be right about your ifupdown version not using iproute
and, as he suggested, you're going to have to use the equivalent of:

allow-auto eth0.9
iface eth0.9 inet static
address 192.168.1.119
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1
post-up ip address add 192.168.1.199/24 dev eth0.9