Re: Configuring multiple IP addresses on VLAN interface using ifupdown

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 9:40 AM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 12:57 PM, Steffen Dettmer
> <steffen.dettmer@gmail.com> wrote:
>> but I get an error message that ifup tries to configure the VLAN
>> interface twice, but the addresses are set.
> I assume that you mean "auto eth3.77" not "auto eth3.107".

Yes, of course, sorry for the typo. I C&P wrongly (I did too many
tests :)).

> works for me in the form of
>
> allow-auto eth0.9
>
> iface eth0.9 inet static
> address 192.168.1.119
> netmask 255.255.255.0
> gateway 192.168.1.1
>
> iface eth0.9 inet static
> address 192.168.1.199
> netmask 255.255.255.0

I used literally this (1:1 copied), but I get the same message I
had during my tests, about already existing interfaces.
Unfortunately they are not stored in any /var/log/* file, so I
hopefully retype correctly:

[....] Configuring network interfaces...Set name-type for VLAN subsystem. Should
 be visible in /proc/net/vlan/config
ERROR: trying to add VLAN #9 to IF -:eth0-  error: File exists
Set name-type for VLAN subsystem. Should be visible in /proc/net/vlan/config:
ERROR: trying to add VLAN #9 to IF -:eth0-  error: File exists
done.

Beside this looks as vconfig messages are unexpected (they
distrub the screen layout), the big "ERROR" messages look really bad.

Regards,
Steffen