Re: Configuring multiple IP addresses on VLAN interface using ifupdown

Hi,

thanks again for your fast help.

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 1:18 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
> So Bob must be right about your ifupdown version not using iproute

I'm using Wheezy with ifup version 0.7.8, I think this is the
latest officially released (aka "the best") one?

> and, as he suggested, you're going to have to use the equivalent of:
>
> allow-auto eth0.9
> iface eth0.9 inet static
> address 192.168.1.119
> netmask 255.255.255.0
> gateway 192.168.1.1
> post-up ip address add 192.168.1.199/24 dev eth0.9

I took this 1:1 resulting in the following /etc/network/interfaces file:

------------------------------------------------------------------->8=======
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

allow-auto eth0.9
iface eth0.9 inet static
  address 192.168.1.119
  netmask 255.255.255.0
  gateway 192.168.1.1
  post-up ip address add 192.168.1.199/24 dev eth0.9

Now I get "ERROR: trying to add VLAN #9 to IF -:eth0-  error: File exists"
"only" once, but still.

Is the example above correct? Does it work for you? Could your
machine be boot so quickly that it might not be visible without
adding --noclear to /etc/inittab for tty1 getty?

Regards,
Steffen