Re: Debian Wheezy - HP Pavilion dm1

On 21/10/13 12:28 PM, Markus Falb wrote:

If the hdparm -I tells you that APM is at 254, then *it is* at 254
The value of 35 that you are talking about is another value that has nothing to do with it.

you refer to this line

ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
193 Load_Cycle_Count          0x0032   035       035         000          Old_age   Always          -                       656598

The last column is the raw value, probably this is the absolute load cycle count, but who knows.
*If* the raw value is the absolute count, your disk had 656598 cycles

VALUE and WORST are normalized views of the raw value. If VALUE is reaching THRESH than the disk will die soon.
VALUE was probably 100 when the disk was new and was/is decreasing since then. If S.M.A.R.T. is right, you have 1 third of the load cycles left. Oh, but who says that it decreases linearly?

I did a search for your drive (I hope I got that right)
http://www.techhypermart.com/samsung-hm641ji-2-5-640gb-mobile-hard-disk-drive.html
says
- Load/Unload Cycles: 600,000

yours is at 656598, this could mean that its over the specificated load cycle counts yet.
Note that this does not correlate with the 1 third from above, sadly.

Another strange thing - your APM is at 254 according to the output from hdparm

It was mentioned that the APM level is not guaranteed to survive a reboot. Some OS's could set it at boot time, some will not.
It could be that a OS that does not make these clicking sounds is a OS that sets it at 254 at boot time. You will have to retrieve the value with the problem-os. Maybe you retrieved this value while the "good" OS was running, I do not know.

I encountered drives which APM was not changeable at all
Also note that the interpretation of the raw value is not standardized.

We are fishing in muddy waters without technical specifications from Samsung.

I am getting more confused now. I can assure you that I never changed my OS before since I initiated this thread. So, all the data is coming from one single OS from a single machine.

Assuming linearity, this means that I spent 2/3 of my hard disks life within 2 years. And after a year, my hard disk will die. If it is nonlinear, than it is not predictable, it can die before a year or after a year? This makes me start to worry, perhaps I should consider using another laptop then?

I already posted the model I am using, and I am repeating this:
Laptop Model: HP Pavilion dm1 3240ca
Hard Disk: Samsung SpinPoint M7E (AFT)

In case you're interested I can post other info about its identity from gsmartcontrol. From what I see, the link that you're included about my hard disk is not exactly matching the model I am using (your link gave me an external hard disk).

http://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-HM641JI-Spinpoint-internal-notebook/dp/B0053OVVFQ

but the above link is more relevant I believe. From the reviewers of the product, I am starting to believe that my HD will die soon...

Nevertheless, if I use the hdparm method, I will be able to eliminate the click at least?

S. Sahin