Installing Debian 7

Hello all,
I installed debian 7 successfully right to the end when it came up with a message that it flashes on the screen, something about gnome and video. It is not there long enough to read. I suspect that gnome does not like my video hardware, possibly because it an older m/c.

The deskyop does not load.
I tried Mint and got a similar result with a mention that cinnamon did not load. I am guessing that cinnamon is the Mint desktop.

Is there a different driver for Debian 7 to fix this ?

I did the bug report but no response.

Barry