Re: Gnome login screen not shown

On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 10:01 PM, Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> wrote:
> Am 19.10.2013 09:52, schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
>> On Sat, 2013-10-19 at 09:40 +0530, bhuvanesh kumar wrote:
>>>
>>> I recently upgraded my system from Debian testing to Unstable. After,
>>> upgrading i'm not able to login to my system
>>
>> If you don't know what log files you should read, or at least post, I
>> recommend to continue and to fix the issues by installing packages from
>> experimental, perhaps this will fix the problem. If not, convert
>> packages for other distros by using alien. I would test if the login
>> manager's greeter from e.g. openSuse repositories does fix it.
>
> That is seriously bad advice.

Not only is this bad advice in general but it's particularly bad
advice in this specific case because upstream GDM now depends on
systemd and the Debian maintainers must be doing quite some work in
order to remove it. The Gentoo GNOME maintainers have decided that
decoupling GDM/GNOME from systemd would be too much work and are
shipping them with that dependency, so this work must be
time-comsuming and cannot be straightforward...