Re: Debian Wheezy - HP Pavilion dm1

On 20/10/13 04:28 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Sun, 2013-10-20 at 13:03 -0700, Gregory Nowak wrote:
On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 09:37:12PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
I don't know, but if it's running as a daemon it likely does write a log
file. The Internet is your friend, I can't continue now, perhaps I can
try to help again tomorrow.

Yes, smartd writes info to /var/log/daemon.log. When you installed
smartmontools, you should have edited /etc/smartd.conf to meet your
needs. There are comments in /etc/smartd.conf which explain things,
and give examples. If that's not enough, then there is also the
smartd.conf(5) man page, and the internet.

I would still write the smartctl output to a log on boot as Ralf
suggested. That way, you'll be able to find the info you need
quickly. Also, I haven't looked at smartd enough to know if it
produces all the details that smartctl can in the system logs.

As init script without sudo.

Perhaps not

smartctl -a /dev/sda > /var/log/smartctl-a.log

but

smartctl -a /dev/sda >> /var/log/smartctl-a.log

and echo the date before running smartctl. Also before running smartctl,
test the size of the log file and do something, if it's very large, e.g.
delete it.

IOW e.g. something similar to this

echo "$(date "+[%Y-%m-%d %H:%M]")"
find /var/log/smartctl-a.log -type f -size ADD_THE_MAX_SIZE_HERE -exec rm {} \;
                                                ^^^^^^^^ take a look at
man page, I don't know if there is an option for size >=, you need to
fix this idea a little bit. I never learned to write scripts, I take a
look at --help and man myself.
smartctl -a /dev/sda >> /var/log/smartctl-a.log

Don't delete it, first move the log file to smartctl-a.log.old and if
the new smartctl-a.log file is to large too, overwrite
smartctl-a.log.old with this file.

OK, I will try to set it up manually by myself instead of relying on the startup daemon.

S. Sahin