Re: ukash hijacked iceweasel

Robert Holtzman wrote:
> Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > Robert Holtzman wrote:
> > > I'm running iceweasel 17.0.9 which,as you know, is just a rebranded
> > > firefox. When I access mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new it tells me I'm
> > > using the latest version of firefox and doesn't give an option of
> > > downloading a new browser.
> >
> > Firefox and Firefox ESR are at version 24:
> > http://www.mozilla.org/img/covehead/esr/release-overview.png
> >
> > http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all.html
> > http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/
>
> I sure as hell wish their web site devs would make up their minds. Going
> in through www.mozilla.org, hitting the products link and then the FF
> link tells me I'm using the latest version. Hitting the download link on
> the home page offers version 24. Screw it.

You seem to have an ESR release 17.0.9 which is still within the
support window.  Therefore it is current.  But so is ESR 24.0 now too.
There is overlap.  ESR 24 is also current.  And so is the consumer
"release" version 24.0 too.  All as describe in the previously quoted:

  http://www.mozilla.org/img/covehead/esr/release-overview.png

Therefore *all three* of them are current.  But if you go to download
the latest available version then you will get the consumer release
version 24 flavor because that is what upstream prefers and pushes.

[Note that this wouldn't be such a problem if Firefox (and chromium
too) didn't release every six weeks.  And if they weren't an 800lb
gorilla that is too big to be ignored.  They do what they want and the
majority of us can only react to it.]

Bob