Re: Debian Wheezy - HP Pavilion dm1

On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 09:37:12PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> I don't know, but if it's running as a daemon it likely does write a log
> file. The Internet is your friend, I can't continue now, perhaps I can
> try to help again tomorrow.

Yes, smartd writes info to /var/log/daemon.log. When you installed
smartmontools, you should have edited /etc/smartd.conf to meet your
needs. There are comments in /etc/smartd.conf which explain things,
and give examples. If that's not enough, then there is also the
smartd.conf(5) man page, and the internet.

I would still write the smartctl output to a log on boot as Ralf
suggested. That way, you'll be able to find the info you need
quickly. Also, I haven't looked at smartd enough to know if it
produces all the details that smartctl can in the system logs.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1