Re: XFCE is slow on Acer One netbook - suggestions?

Le 18.10.2013 09:30, Helmut Wollmersdorfer a écrit :
Am 17.10.2013 um 16:45 schrieb Joe <joe@jretrading.com>:

There is mate, allegedly a fork of Gnome2, I haven't tried it. I do use
LXDE on my sid desktop and also on my Aspire One netbook. I have the
one with the slightly smaller case and SSD, which has an unbelievably
slow write speed. I usually use it with an external USB hard drive,
which has sid/LXDE. It seems quick enough for my purposes, but they may
be different from yours.

Mine are development centered (Perl programming) plus associated
tasks - editing, testing, web-browsing, PDF-reading.

Then, may I suggest you to try to use some tiling-window manager? For programming, they are awesome. The only drawback is that things might look less beautiful, and you will need to learn how they work (which can be very fast, depending on the twm you chose). Their main advantage is that they allow you to grab the mouse less often than classic wm, but they are also very lightweight on both CPU usage and RAM occupation.

Both LXDE and XFCE use Openbox, but of course there are many others.

XFCE uses it's own wm: xfwm4. Of course, you can use openbox with XFCE, but it is not the default choice.