Re: Installing Cinnamon 2.0

Am 11.10.2013 um 21:19 schrieb Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net>:

> On Fri, 11 Oct 2013 20:44:11 +0200, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 12:42 PM, Ralf Mardorf
>> <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>>

>>> GVFS is absolutely optional software.
>>
>> You only ever consider things from your limited use-case
>
> No.
>
>> Simply because you mount external drives manually
>> or via udev-without-gvfs, doesn't mean that this is the best way for
>> the majority.
>
> It's better to install software that damages the drives instead?
> Why not making it optional, as it's done for Xfce's Thunar?

Just for interest: Why does it damage the drives?

My usual use-cases are: Have some external HDDs dedicated for music, foto-this, foto-that, a dozen of USB-sticks, and a dozen of SD-cards for cameras etc.

Data is copied between them, i.e. I plug in the device, open the file-browser etc. Then unmount/remove the storage media. As I need to do this cross-OS (Debian, Win XP/7, OSX), both Win and OSX write their hidden files crap on the devices.

Helmut Wollmersdorfer