Re: who could take the time to figure out how to contact linux ? so complicated !

On Mon, 2013-10-14 at 17:22 +1100, Charlie wrote:
> HTH to show you that Debian is not responsible for Ubuntu.

<satire> Debian is responsible for many package names used by Ubuntu,
since Ubuntu is based on Debian snapshots. </satire>

However, the OP seemingly is a newbie. I won't confuse the OP and write
about flashplayer and other things, such as Debian isn't Ubuntu, so I
started to give a hint, how to search for software. IMO Synaptic is very
good, it's a GUI and provides to search for software groups IIRC.

I suspect I confused the OP too, by using terms such as "upstream",
anyway, there's a learning curve for Linux, for a newbie accustomed to
nowadays Microsoft or Apple it can not be used that easy as those OSes.

All the attempts to fake this Micosoft and Apple
pseudo-user-friendliness are a PITA and aren't good for Linux. Indeed
Ubuntu by default ships with software centre or what ever this crap is
called.

It's very simple, depending to the usage Linux usually is better than
Microsoft and Apple, but Linux needs administration. The approach to
provide an OS that fakes not to need administration does cause all the
problems with Microsoft and Apple. They fake something that is
impossible. Some Linux distributions try to fake it too, most worse
seems to be Ubuntu and regarding to this Ubuntu ships with all it's
drawbacks, but also with some advantages.

May it as it be, the OP should be aware, that using Linux requires a
learning curve that isn't needed for Micosoft and Apple. _And very
important_ is that Linux is neither a competitor, nor a replacement
to/for Microsoft and Apple. Linux, the kernel and user space for Linux,
IOW the programs that can be used with Linux, are something completely
different to Microsoft and Apple.

Regards,
Ralf