Re: Installing Cinnamon 2.0

On Fri, 2013-10-11 at 11:22 -0500, Mark Allums wrote:
> > On Fri, 2013-10-11 at 10:24 -0500, Mark Allums wrote:
> > > As far as gvfs goes, it's harmless.  Why be upset over it
> > > installation?
> >
> > External hard disc drives that fulfill the EU Regulation, that they have
> > to sleep after a while, will be waked up by GVFS again and again. This
> > will kill those "green" drives. Software like GVFS that will damage
> > hardware is a no-go. To get rid of it only a dummy package is needed, or
> > maintainers who ignore insane upstream dependencies ;).
>
> I think that this is in the pipeline to address, but the problem is in
> Windows and OS X as well. A lot of it is name-calling and
> finger-pointing, and gvfs is no different from other devs.    I know
> that on a Mac, if you use Apple's own external drive, there is no
> problem.  I don't suppose that is really relevant.  In the US, there
> was a program you could download from WD and I think maybe something
> similar from Seagate, that would disable the sleep thing.  The drive
> would always be spinning, but it didn't cause the heads to keep
> parking and unparking.  I don't know if this is still available or
> not, but I suspect that it isn't available in the EU.  Windows will
> also sleep the WiFi adapter if you don't disable sleep, and then the
> USB won't reconnect after wakeup.  It takes a physical unplug/replug
> to reset the thing.  It is extremely bothersome.  It causes problems
> on reboot, too.

Fortunately it's easy to test an USB drive on other machines. Windows XP
doesn't wake up the drive, IOW Windows doesn't damage the drive, but
even if Windows would damage the drive, this wouldn't be an excuse that
GVFS does damage green drives. I'm using Linux and not Windows.

Disabling is 1. impossible for many drives with an USB controller, when
you can't open the case and 2. even if it should work, it's unwanted by
some users, e.g. by me and it's against EU law.

> Have you considered NAS?

No way! I simply don't install GVFS. I don't understand why this is a
hard dependency. Even if it shouldn't kill external HDDs, perhaps some
people don't want to mount using a file manager etc., IOW GVFS is
absolutely optional software.

Regards,
Ralf