Re: gnome depends on adblock-plus

Le 12.10.2013 10:58, Marko Randjelovic a écrit :
"One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring
them all and in the darkness bind them In the Land of Mordor where the
Shadows lie." :)

apt-get install gnome-applets gnome-screenshot gnome-session
gnome-panel gnome-terminal gedit gdm3 file-roller gnome-icon-theme

As I said, I am no longer a DE user, but before leaving the wonderful world of automatically installed DE through one package, I was using XFCE, and at a moment I noticed that I never used some applications, so I found a way to remove them: do not installing meta-package(1) was the solution.

But it does not change that a meta-package have a strange dependency.

More important, it is the gnome package. The one which is automatically installed by a default installation of Debian. Here, anew, I am not directly concerned, since I build my Debian from only the strict minimum number of packages(2)...

Notes:
1: In fact, I think that meta-packages should only have recommendations and suggestions, since they are automatically installed by a default Debian configuration. This would not change the default behavior, while it would provide tinkerers more freedom and flexibility. After all, by not being real softwares or features, they should not be able to have hard dependencies, because there is no *technical reality* behind that. Only political choices, and I do not think that a package management should take care of the politic side of things. This should be the admin's problem ( <joke>I did not said sysadmin ;)</joke> ).

2: plus some packages which are not vital at all, like cron, which I usually remove. I do not think it should be installed when you choose to have the strict minimum system. But this is a minor issue which is not the one I want to discuss here.