gnome depends on adblock-plus

Well, as I claimed more than once here, I am not a DE user, but I have read today something ( on linuxfr ) which surprise me a lot, and it seem that reading is true, from : gnome depends on xul-ext-adblock-plus.

I always thought that dependencies were here for technical reasons, and I can not imagine how a complete DE could depend on a web browser extension, and it becomes worse when the extension in question have side-effects on important subjects like neutrality.

So, I would like to know if someone knows why this dependency exists, instead of a recommendation or suggestion. Without the problem of ideology, on which I do not want to go, so I'll stay on technical point.

Having gnome depending on an iceweasel extension, which in turn depends on iceweasel does simply seems stupid, for more than one reason: _ gnome, or even iceweasel should only suggest, or recommend, extensions. The web browser does not need it to work fine. _ gnome should depends on iceweasel, which in turn should be linked to some extensions.

There is a bug report, here ( http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=689858 ) which is one year old. I am not familiar with the debian bug tracking system, and am only reporting here a link provided to me through a forum, but I have seen no reply of gnome's maintainer, so I am asking here to know if there is a technical reason for that dependency, of something which makes gnome still depending hardly on that firefox's only extension, still being here after a year (the messages in the bug report are here since 2012). Someone mentioned that someone should report that to the technical comity, but... I do not really feel like I am well placed to do this, so I am asking to userlist if someone knows the reason behind the non-fixing of the issue.