Re: gnome depends on adblock-plus

On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 11:48:28AM +0200, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
> 1: In fact, I think that meta-packages should only have
> recommendations and suggestions, since they are automatically
> installed by a default Debian configuration.

All meta-packages are not installed in a default Debian installation.
In fact, what you are referring to are task-* meta-packages, as
generated by tasksel, such as task-gnome-desktop¹, which depends on
gnome-core², and *does* recommend the "gnome" meta-package already.

(of course at installation time the user has little opportunity to
have set a no-recommends-please preference prior to selecting tasks.
Perhaps they do if they are in expert mode: I'm not sure.)

"gnome-core" is defined to be the bare minimum of GNOME to have a
functional system and its dependencies are set accordingly. (I see
iceweasel is a depends here but the xul-* packages are not.)

"gnome" is defined to be the GNOME Desktop Environment: all of it: and
its dependencies are set accordingly. Thus the upstream GNOME team
define what is part of the GNOME Desktop Environment³.  Anyone who does
not want the entire GNOME desktop should not install (or should
subsequently remove) the "gnome" metapackage.

¹ http://packages.debian.org/unstable/task-gnome-desktop
² http://packages.debian.org/sid/gnome-core
³ exceptions do exist, such as the lack of epiphany and substitution
  with iceweasel, which is the root cause of the problems you've
  highlighted here, and I explain in my other post.

--
Jonathan Dowland