Re: Installing Cinnamon 2.0

Le 11.10.2013 19:42, Tom H a écrit :
AIUI, MATE is a redo of GNOME 2 using GTK2 and Cinnamon a redo of
GNOME 2 using GTK3. Will they merge at some point? Or have their
interpretation and evolution of the GNOME 2 UI diverged enough for
them to keep on co-existing?

AFAIK, they are fork of different softwares: gnome 2 for one, gnome 3 for the other. Plus, I do not think there is any sign of will to merge.
So, I doubt they'll do, because of will and or technical problems.

But, to be honest, I do not know, I do not use any DE anymore, and if someday I would have to advice the use of DE to someone, that would be XFCE or LXDE. I have used them, and they offer enough features in my opinion. Plus, they are lightweight, their age can be used as a proof that they'll continue on their original line. Exactly what gnome seems to not have made ;) so when I consider it's forks... 2 forks, for 1 reason, I allow me to smile and have hard doubts about their future. And well, I do not mind at all, I'm no longer a DE user and probably will never become one anew. Except if someone make a DE built around TWM, very lightweight softwares, and no feature duplication ( it means: no other tool than the window manager would manage windows. We are far from that, even in terminals. )

My 2 cents.