Re: Installing Cinnamon 2.0

Le 11.10.2013 19:43, Alex Moonshine a écrit :
> > On Fri, 11 Oct 2013 16:50:01 +0200
> > Ralf Mardorf<ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net>  wrote:
I'm speaking about upstream and here is one conflict:

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ sudo pacman -S mate-file-archiver
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...
:: mate-file-archiver and file-roller are in conflict. Remove
file-roller? [y/N]

Sorry, but why would one need mate-file-archiver (Engrampa) and
file-roller on the same machine? The former is a fork of the latter
(and to all practical means just the same package under different
name). Same goes for nautilus/caja, gedit/pluma, etc.
I think that either you use MATE DE and Engrampa replaces file-roller
for you, or, if you want to install MATE on a system that already has
some other DE with file-roller installed, that you want to keep, you
install mate-base package, which (I believe) includes none of extra
applications (and you can go on using file-roller under MATE).

Or maybe they should all depend on a meta package named, say, x-archive-manager? That would indirectly fix the problem, and give users a choice :)

Otherwise, about reasons... some people uses more than 1 DE. I guess we could use the same reason, here.