Re: reinstalling Nginx & others usin apt from command line

On 10/10/2013 3:08 PM, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:

Le 10.10.2013 20:20, Brad Rogers a écrit :
On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 10:54:57 -0700
Gregory Nowak <greg@gregn.net> wrote:

Hello Gregory,

"purge
          purge is identical to remove except that packages are
          removed and
          purged (any configuration files are deleted too)."

As has been said, the man page is imprecise.

I wonder if that could justify a bug report? Speaking about that, I have
no idea about what exactly does the reinstall option: simply remove and
then install, or purge and then install? If, as I think, it's the first
option, what is the use for that, since packages should not lose files
magically?

I'm not sure what the confusion is here. Sure, it deletes all configuration files it knows about. But then I would NOT expect it to delete any user-generated files, configuration or otherwise. I would only expect it to delete what it can restore.

Jerry