Re: reinstalling Nginx & others usin apt from command line

On Wed, Oct 09, 2013 at 11:21:39AM -0500, John W. Foster wrote:
> I want to know if there is a way to use reinstall with some command to
> overwrite all the existing configs using the dist configs. I want a
> complete new installation with no modifications. I have tried this but
> so far apt uses the existing configs. I end up with a non working
> server. I had this same issue with apache and evolution. Seem like I
> should be able to specify this at setup.
> Thanks
> john

When you remove a package, do it like so:

apt-get --purge remove package_name

The --purge removes config files for package_name, so package_name is
then completely gone from your system, configs and all. When you
install package_name again it will be installed fresh as if it had
never been installed on the system before. HTH.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn..net
gpg public key: http://www.gregn..net/pubkey.asc