reinstalling Nginx & others usin apt from command line

I want to know if there is a way to use reinstall with some command to
overwrite all the existing configs using the dist configs. I want a
complete new installation with no modifications. I have tried this but
so far apt uses the existing configs. I end up with a non working
server. I had this same issue with apache and evolution. Seem like I
should be able to specify this at setup.
Thanks
john