Re: Building computer

Le 28.09.2013 13:33, Stan Hoeppner a écrit :
Hi Catherine,

I haven't caught up with the rest of the thread but just wanted to
address a couple points here.

On 9/26/2013 11:12 AM, Catherine Gramze wrote:

On Sep 26, 2013, at 1:05 AM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:

What desktop applications are you using that require 8GB, let alone
16GB, of RAM? I'd think 4 would be plenty. If you wish to over buy DRAM, that's a personal choice. It will likely not improve performance
in any meaningful way, for WOW in Wine, or anything else.

I will be running more than one app at a time. For example WoW, a browser, a Ventrilo client, and a chat client at minimum.

4GB is more than plenty, unless WOW has turned into a complete and total memory hog. Obviously it eats more running through Wine emulation. But Win and WOW combined shouldn't eat more than 2GB, so you have 2GB left
to the rest, which is plenty.

I am only quickly reading the thread, and it's the 2nd time I see "wine" associated with "emulation". As the name says, WINE Is Not An Emulator, it does not emulate a computer, it does not emulate the windows' kernel, it emulates nothing.

If WINE was an emulator, then GTK, Qt, GStreamer and almost everything on your computer would be emulators too. All those softwares are libraries, they provide functions to softwares and that's all. So, saying that running an application with WINE will take more memory than the same application without it needs proofs. Run an OS which does not depend on windows' kernel, Debian for example, with wine and without your desktop environment and other linux only applications. Instead, replace them with windows' applications, and then, if you effectively have difference of memory compared to the same application set on windows, then ok.

What WINE does is translating application's requests when they have a different name, and implementing them when they does not exists on our systems.

Plus, about the memory consumption wine, or any software library should take against another one, it is almost nothing. What takes memory in a software are data: graphics and sounds, of course, but also logic data, in case of WoW: player's lists, with their names, hp, etc. And that last kind of data is almost nothing compared to graphical resources of most 3D games. Add to this the performance difference between those systems, and you might even need less memory with linux. Or more. It depends on what the application needs, on the options of the kernel and other obscure things that I do not understand, even if I am a programmer ( but a good one and not a WINE one, however. ).

For WoW, you will probably not need more memory than on windows, since it is a software used by a lot of people from a long time and so, probably have a good "support" from wine. And if you need more, then it will not be tons of MiB. It will not be measurable against the GiB that WoW probably needs for graphical resources.