Re: Building computer

On Thu, 2013-09-26 at 14:02 -0400, Catherine Gramze wrote:

> On Sep 26, 2013, at 1:57 PM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net>
> wrote:
>
> > I don't know any vendor, for any kind of hardware, that does support
> > Linux, even not the Linux friendly vendors that cooperate with the
> > Linux
> > community usually don't support Linux. That Linux isn't supported,
> > doesn't mean that they don't care about Linux.
>
> Yes, but I wasn't even asking about support. I was asking about two
> specific capabilities of the BIOS in a motherboard, which are
> OS-agnostic. Disabling Secure Boot and enabling CSM.

They have fear to answer, because if it should be possible, but then
anyway cause issues, they won't bear the blame. I very often experienced
hardware that should work with Linux, even when recommended by the
community, that didn't/doesn't work on my machine. If they would give
you an answer, they already would provide a little bit of Linux support.

To be fair, supporting hardware and drivers for Linux isn't easy,
because the advantage of Linux, it's diversity and continuously
development, is a drawback for this domain.