Re: Building computer

On Tue, 2013-09-24 at 23:52 -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> 2.  Choice of integrated GPU

As you already pointed out the price point is important too, so NVIDIA
and ATI are still good recommendations. Intel might be better, I don't
know, since I'm one of those, who don't own a Gold-[censored, referring
to the Grimm Brothers].

However ...

> The newer the GPU the more time you'll spend fighting with installing
> experimental kernels, modules, x.org settings, etc.

... ATI's disadvantage is, that older graphics aren't supported by
current proprietary drivers, but older proprietary drivers only work
with outdated versions of X and the FLOSS driver's 3D support isn't
good. Using old NVIDIA graphics with current proprietary drivers usually
doesn't cause issues and even the FLOSS driver's 3D acceleration is very
good. I own both, ATI and NVIDIA and have to replace the cards from time
to time. Depending to the usage, e.g. when using a kernel-rt, I
sometimes need to use the less good supported ATI graphics.

IOW if a perfectly tuned machine is needed, there is no guaranty that a
graphics will be good, that is known to work with Linux. Even if you
don't need 3D acceleration, but e.g. audio real-time, hardware, not only
the graphics that works today, might not work tomorrow. That's the risk
of using Linux, FreeBSD etc..

I recommend NVIDIA over ATI, but currently I'm using my ATI graphics ;).
Since a graphics doesn't cost very much, I wouldn't care about the
integrated graphics, at least not for a tower PC, it might be different
for Laptops.

IMO it's better to buy a modo that's too new, than one that's too old.
Even a too new mobo that does cause issues with Linux likely will work
in two years. It would be nice, if people would use a computer for ten
or more years and not buy a new one every 4 years.

In Germany bulky waste, such as computers, a few times in the year is
put out to the sidewalks. I got much of my computer equipment from this
bulky wast.

People who don't use a computer for ten years and more are responsible
for this: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=agbogbloshie+images

Agbogbloshie is the computer garbage dump of _all_ Western nations.

Regards,
Ralf

PS: Those who send HTML formatted mails to this thread, please, if you
send HTML formatted mails, at least take care about endless lines. Side
scrolling to read a mail isn't nice.