Re: How to customize keys under X?

On 9/22/13, Xue Fuqiao <xfq.free@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to customize keys in Debian.  I want to set f2/f3/f4/f8 to
> cut/copy/paste/switch-applications.  For switching applications, I tried
> setting f8 in Settings -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts -> Navigation, but it
> didn't help; neither Alt+Tab nor f8 worked after that change.

Gnome3 I can't help you sorry.

> I searched the web and found IronAHK.  I haven't tried it, but it is
> unmaintained.  Relying on unmaintained softwares isn't a good idea.  I
> also found (and tried) xbindkeys and xdotool, but I can't get them to work.

xdotool I use to have a keyboard key provide a mouse click for me.
Very useful. Probably would not work to switch applications. May be
Gnome3 is the problem for you? I don't know sorry.

> I'm using GNOME 3 on Jessie, but I'd also appreciate if someone can
> share solutions on other DE/WMs.  Can anyone point me in the right
> direction?

XFCE seems pretty easy, and traditional Gnome2-like (XP-like). Some
people here rave about XFCE; I find it adequate, least frustrating
option (to me) for last year or two.

Good luck,
Zenaan