How to customize keys under X?

Hi list,

I'd like to customize keys in Debian.  I want to set f2/f3/f4/f8 to
cut/copy/paste/switch-applications.  For switching applications, I tried
setting f8 in Settings -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts -> Navigation, but it
didn't help; neither Alt+Tab nor f8 worked after that change.

I searched the web and found IronAHK.  I haven't tried it, but it is
unmaintained.  Relying on unmaintained softwares isn't a good idea.  I
also found (and tried) xbindkeys and xdotool, but I can't get them to work.

I'm using GNOME 3 on Jessie, but I'd also appreciate if someone can
share solutions on other DE/WMs.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

--
Best regards, Xue Fuqiao.
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/