Re: Changes in xmodmap or something?

Harry Putnam wrote:
> I've reconfigured the keyboard stuff with dpkg.
> dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration
>
> I configured right alt to be alt_gr as you suggested was a common
> setup.

And good because in your other message you said you rarely used Right
Alt for anything.  (I sometimes use Right Alt Left for the browser
back key.  [shrug])

> But also selected the menu key as compose.

Sounds reasonable.

> /etc/default/keyboard now says:
>
> ,----
> | XKBMODEL="pc104"
> | XKBLAYOUT="us"
> | XKBVARIANT=""
> | XKBOPTIONS="lv3:ralt_switch,compose:menu,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
> | BACKSPACE="guess"
> `----

Looks reasonable.

> I don't see any change whatsoever.  Pressing ALT_L+x in an xterm still
> shows: ø
> Both alt keys appear to do the same thing.

Curiouser and curiouser, said Alice.  I have no ideas now.

> So, now trying configuring with NO alt_gr and NO compose keys.
> And once again... no change whatever after restarting X.  ALT_L+x
> still shows: 'ø'

Sorry but I am out of ideas.  Hopefully someone else will have
something to offer.

> Is it normal that messing with /etc/default/keyboard has no effect on
> these keys?

The file itself is an input file to other programs.  Simply editing
that file won't change anything dynamically.  You mentioned restarting
X and I know that some X components read that file.  But I don't know
if things before X read that file.

Looking through keyboard-configuration.postinst I see that it calls
'setupcon'.  Looking at the man page for it talks about additional
config files.  You don't happen to have a ~/.console-setup or
~/.keyboard file that would override other locations do you?

Usually I play with 'setxkbmap' and after I have what I want I re-run
dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration and have it set up the config
and then make it active immediately.

> Should the settings in /etc/default/keyboard effect the ouput of
> `xmodmap -pke'

I don't think so.  I am vague and fuzzy on this particular item.  I
believe that setxkbmap and xmodmap affect two slightly different but
interacting parts of the keyboard path.  First let me say that I don't
know.  I never learned this part of the system.  Fuzzy understanding
of the interactions between them.  Sorry.  Maybe someone else would
jump in and educate both of us.

> > Recently I asked a similar question in this thread.  Here is the start:
> >
> >   http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2013/08/msg00819.html
> >
> > And for me the resolution is described here:
> >
> >   http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2013/08/msg00832.html
>
> At the first url this command:
>
>   setxkbmap -rules evdev -model evdev -layout us -variant altgr-intl

I was hoping that configuring an AltGr config would flush through
whatever had happened on your system.  Darn!  It didn't.  Which means
the problem is still there but some place else.

> Is said to set up the altgr_intl keyboard layout... and to hide all
> non-english char behind right ALT.
>
> When I run that... I see no change whatsoever....

It should have immediate effect.  If I run that on a system that does
not have Right Alt configured specially then immediately it starts
acting as the AltGr key.  It definitely has immediate effect.

> Other than a change in xmodmap output where the `mod1' line has lost
> ALT_R:
>
>   mod1        Alt_L (0x40),  Meta_L (0xcd)

That looks correct.  Because Alt_R is now being used for AltGr instead
of mod1.

> One thing I didn't mention in my setup, it's been there so long I
> don't even think about it. I run thru a KVM switch:
>   IOGEAR miniview 4 port DVI
>
> But I've been running thru a KVM for many years, and that particular one
> for several yrs.
>
> But just to isolate that possibility... something I at least know how
> to do, I've plugged the keyboard direct to the computer and, no
> surprise, it didn't make a bit of difference.

A good test regardless.  When debugging it is good to simplify as much
as possible.  It would have been possible for the KVM to have flaked
out and become part of the problem.  Good to have cleared it.

Sorry but I have no more ideas.  I can only say that the behavior you
are seeing isn't normal.  I don't see it.  I believe other people are
not seeing it.  Whatever the problem is it is something specific to
your system.  The challenge is to find it.

Bob