Re: Changes in xmodmap or something?

Harry Putnam wrote:
> Bob Proulx writes:
>
> > Harry Putnam wrote:
> >> I have been noticing for some time that my ~/.inputrc key combos don't
> >> work.  Also the keyboard Alt key doesn't work in emacs if I run it in
> >> -nw more (in an xterm).
> >
> > Race condition.  I just sent a similar answer to you in the other
> > mailing list. :-)
>
> Yeah, I just finished you post there and responded... I guess this
> list is really the better place since it is not really an Emacs issue
> but more OS stuff,
>
> I'll put the ouput of xmodmap here too:
> | mod1        Alt_L (0x40),  Alt_R (0x6c),  Meta_L (0xcd)

This seems related to the problem.  Here is what I have:

  mod1        Alt_L (0x40),  Meta_L (0xcd)

> > I think you have configured AltGr or other modifier without realizing
> > it.
>
> What might do that?

I have no idea.  Just that Alt-a produced the same output as if you
had and I can't think of any other way for that to happen.

> > For me with AltGr-x I get "œ" which is different from your report.
>
> Yeah, I see so maybe it isn't related to the AltGr at all.

Maybe not.  It was worth a check.  Still might be.  Don't know.

> I mostly use emacs -nw now when I need to do something in a directory
> I'm already in with an xterm... its just quicker to do some things in
> dired.  But there was a time when I used it much more extensively.
> Now I miss the fruit salad of emacs running in X in its own terminal,
> I guess.

Agreed that this has nothing to do with emacs.  This is purely within
the realm of X and the keyboard.  And also xterm displaying the results.

Bob