Re: Security?

On Mon, 2013-09-09 at 20:07 +0200, Slavko wrote:
> Ahoj,
>
> Dňa Sun, 8 Sep 2013 11:27:36 -0700 latinfo@vcn.bc.ca napísal:
>
> > Hello list.
> > What do you think about it?
> >
> > https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2013/09/the_nsa_is_brea.html
> >

> What can one think about this? Here is part of Universal Declaration of
> Human Rights (Article 12) [1]:
>
> "No one shall be subjected to arbitrary interference with his privacy,
>                                                               ^^^^^^^
> family, home or correspondence, nor to attacks upon his honour and
>              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> reputation. Everyone has the right to the protection of the law against
> such interference or attacks."
>
> Breaking this, the USA becomes thereby a cyberterrorist [2] country,
> which breaks our base rights.
>
> I think, that the USA is freeze in could war, but they forgot, that
> they are braking not only enemies communication, but they are breaking
> privacy as all.
>
> I don't want to depend on the fact, if i am target or not. I am
> expecting, that fair people will respect my privacy (and my human
> rights). I don't want to demonstrate my blamelessness by allowing (or
> tolerating) that activities. I don't want to be a part of these
> activities by tolerating them!
>
> One another problem is, that if these activities are incoming from
> China - anybody know, that this is bad. But if the same things are
> incoming from USA, a lot of people can consider them as OK :-(
>
> I hope, that here will be one good point of these things - that people
> will stop using the big companies (because breaking some big companies
> is simplest, than breaking more small). I hope, that these activities
> will ends the era of Google and Microsoft. And i hope, that this will be
> good thing for free software, because breaking (and infecting)
> free/open software is more problematic, than compromise some
> corporations and their products.
>
> But really, i don't believe, that the USA really break SSL/TLS
> encryption and i hope, that they breaks some keys (certificates,
> CA, ...) only. But beside this, they are opening the Pandora's box.
> Yesterday was Mr. Snowden taking (and publicize) documents, tomorrow can
> someone take and abuse the keys. The USA totally breaks the trust
> system. No one can trust, that the certificate is real, no one can
> trust that it is really talking with its bank, with its friends, etc.
>
> At any rate, anybody, who is using services, which are under USA law,
> become (privacy's) exhibitionist from these days.
>
> But anyhow, thanks to Mr. Snowden, that my paranoia has a name now ;-)
>
> regards
>
> [1] https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Universal_Declaration_of_Human_Rights
> [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberterrorism

It's always a pleasure to read your bits Slavko!

It was totally invisible. How's that possible? They used the earth's
magnetic field. x The information was gathered and transmitted
undergruund to an unknown location. x Does Langley know about this? They
should: it's buried out there somewhere. x Who knows the exact location?
Only WW. This was his last message: x Thirty-eight degrees fifty-seven
minutes six point five seconds North, seventy-seven degrees eight
minutes forty-four seconds West. x Layer Two.

but then,

I met a traveler from an antique land
Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed:
And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

They might and probably have backdoors on pretty much everything.
Computing and networks started as a military enterprise and remained so
for much of our computing history. But secret societies need to remain
secret and act under cover to keep its power, something that will be
increasingly difficult for those behind NSA from now on. After all,
Snowden was certainly not the only one with access to their systems who
happened to be capable of ethical behavior.

They are the ones on a bad situation now, not us. They can read pretty
much everything, but they cannot act freely on the info gathered. I can
sense some people there praying for a long war on Syria/Iran, as a means
to justify or at least distract people from what they are doing.