Re: Ownership of pluggable devices.

 Hi.

On Sat, 7 Sep 2013 12:43:09 +1000
Zenaan Harkness <zen@freedbms.net> wrote:

> On 9/7/13, Gregory Nowak <greg@gregn.net> wrote:
>
> Which filesystem to recommend for external USB portable drives, which
> move between 'random' hosts?

vfat, udf.

If you can stomach it, ntfs or exfat.

If moving said files is one-time activity, just tar needed files and
use USB stick as a raw device. Considering default block device
ownership for removable devices in Debian, no root is needed for this.

If you really need something more modern, ext4 without journal (beware
of file permissions).

> Perhaps fuseext2 would simplify this? I don't have experience with it yet.

man fuseext2 says that:

   FUSEEXT2 options:
       -o rw+

       -o rw,force
              enable read-write mount (EXPERIMENTAL).

'EXPERIMENTAL' is outlined with bold.

Still, fuseext2 worked for me in a short test on ext2. Didn't tried it
on anything else.

> The point is, a lot of us who would read this list, would be those who
> are able and/ or do install Debian for others.
>
> There should be an "easy for grandma" installation setup for the use
> ("by grandma") of externally attached/ portable drives.

 But it is already "easy for grandma", as said devices are
pre-formatted at factory to vfat.

> Anyone know what The Right Way(TM)(R)(C) is?
> Or should be with some scripting/ configuration?
> Or could be with some hacking?

Choose one of these:

Using filesystem which doesn't support file permissions.
Not using filesystem at all.
Chown'ing on every mount.

Reco.