Re: Re: MySQL slow and high load with Debian Wheezy (was: [whole mail text])

Found this thread searching for a solution to my problem (which sounds similar).

My solution was barrier=0 in /etc/fstab see

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ext4

Uh, specifically my problem was that loading large mysql files took forever and would often end with mysql losing the connection (local mysql daemon). Smaller files were still slow (especially from the context of running unit tests that do lots of mysql queries via sql files.

iostat (apt-get install sysstat; iostat -x -d sda 5;) showed very high %util, but very low writes. Interestingly when I pointed the mysql server to store the data on slower usb mounted drives I had better performance. Anyway my old workstation running squeeze gives good performance. Wheezy bad performance until barrier=0 was added.

Before using barrier=0 I played around with stuff such as wrapping sql in set autocommit =0; and commit; Also played with innodb mysql server settings.

But, for me barrier=0 is awesome! (Using laptop so have battery in case power fails...).

Daniel