Re: Ownership of pluggable devices.

On Thu, 5 Sep 2013 20:07:44 -0700
Gregory Nowak <greg@gregn.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 06, 2013 at 12:34:05AM +0400, recoverym4n@gmail.com wrote:
> > In short, invoke (after mounting the filesystem):
> >
> > chown -R peter /home/peter/MY
>
> I do stand to be corrected, but I don't remember a situation where I
> had to do chown like this after every mount. All I've ever had to do
> in these situations is to mkdir /home/user/MY, mount /home/user/MY,
> and chown user.user /home/user/MY. After each subsequent mount, user
> could read/write /home/user/MY with no issues, and without using chown
> every time after mount.

 Hi.

Take two different hosts, make user with the same name, but different
uids on those hosts.

Take USB stick, format it as ext2 (any filesystem keeping file
permissions will do, actually).

Now, move some files with this USB stick between hosts.

This is exactly the situation that requires chown-after-mount unless
you have root on both hosts.

Reco