Re: Error in apt-get install in libstdc++ package

On Sat, Sep 07, 2013 at 04:04:37PM +0530, Balamurugan wrote:

> Do you mean there is no such package like libstdc++?

That is correct, there is no package "libstdc++"

> I have just ran the commands on a fresh install of Debian 7 (Wheezy) 64-bit system.
>
> root@debian:/home/user# apt-get install libstdc++
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Note, selecting 'libstdc++6-4.4-doc' for regex 'libstdc+'
[ Snipped list of packages ]
> Note, selecting 'libstdc++6-4.4-dev' for regex 'libstdc+'

As you can see from the above lines, as there is no exact match for
"libstdc++", apt-get is using the string as a regex (regular expression,
pattern to match against). The result is a list of packages that match
the regex. In this case the pattern being matched against is "any string
containing libstd, immediately followed by one or more c's".

> _libstdc++6 is already the newest version._

Here, apt-get tells you the package libstdc++6, which matches the regex,
is already at the latest version.

  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> or been moved out of Incoming.

>  libstdc++6-4.6-dbg : Conflicts: libstdc++6-4.4-dbg but 4.4.7-2 is to be installed
>  libstdc++6-4.6-doc : Conflicts: libstdc++6-4.4-doc but 4.4.7-2 is to be installed
>  libstdc++6-4.7-dbg : Conflicts: libstdc++6-4.4-dbg but 4.4.7-2 is to be installed
>                       Conflicts: libstdc++6-4.6-dbg but 4.6.3-14 is to be installed
>  libstdc++6-4.7-doc : Conflicts: libstdc++6-4.4-doc but 4.4.7-2 is to be installed
>                       Conflicts: libstdc++6-4.6-doc but 4.6.3-14 is to be installed

As you can see from the above list, you have selected mutually exclusive
packages for installation. As apt-get can't resolve the situation
automatically, it bails out and requires manual intervention to resolve
the conflicts.

Cheers,
Tom

--
Bachelors' wives and old maids' children are always perfect.
		-- Nicolas Chamfort