Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Intel processor microcode security update

On Sat, 07 Sep 2013, shirish शिरीष wrote:
> Would installing the intel processor microcode package and the
> icu-tools have any benefit to me ?
>
>  cpuid -1 | grep 'Intel Pentium'
>       family          = Intel Pentium Pro/II/III/Celeron/Core/Core
> 2/Atom, AMD Athlon/Duron, Cyrix M2, VIA C3 (6)
>    (synth) = Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor E5000/E6000 (Wolfdale R0), 45nm

Probably yes.

> The CPU is around 7 yrs. old hence curious if this will improve the CPU or not ?

I feel the easiest way to know this is to actually install the packages and
check whether the kernel reports it updated microcode or not in
/var/log/kern.log.

Here's an example:

	grep 'microcode.*update' /var/log/kern.log

	kernel: microcode: CPU0 updated to revision 0xab, date = ZZZZ-ZZ-ZZ

If you want to verify it manually, you need to know the numeric signature of
the processor, and search for it on the microcode package changelog.

You can install the iucode-tool package, and ask iucode-tool to check the
processor signature:

*as root*:
modprobe cpuid
apt-get install iucode-tool
/usr/sbin/iucode-tool --scan-system

Then, you look for that signature in the tables at:
http://ftp-master.metadata.debian.org/changelogs/non-free/i/intel-microcode/unstable_changelog

and if you find it there, it is very possible that there is a microcode
update for your processor (there's the pf mask detail, but if you want to
know more about that, please read iucode-tool's README documentation and
manpage).  It is also possible that your BIOS already has the latest version
of the microcode for your processor.

  Henrique Holschuh