Re: Re: Reg: Error in apt-get install in libstdc++ package

On Thu, Sep 05, 2013 at 07:37:03PM +0530, Balamurugan wrote:
> I tried 'apt-get update' but didn't tried 'apt-get dist-upgrade'. I
> have simply installed the Debian 7.0(Wheezy), imported the debian
> repositories near to india and just ran the below:
>
> apt-get update
> apt-get install libstdc++
>
> It had libstdc++6 installed already. I expected either it would
> update to the latest libstdc++ else say the existing package itself
> is latest but unfortunately it gave the mentioned error.

How can it say the existing package is the latest if no such package
exists to begin with?

> I have another machine which has CentOS 6.4. In that I ran 'yum
> install libstdc++' and it said the existing package is the latest.

CentOS and debian are two different distributions which do various
things differently.

> Hence I felt something is wrong in my Debian 7.0 (Wheezy).

No, nothing wrong unless you're seeing a specific problem related to
the standard c++ library.

> Doesn't the command 'apt-get dist-upgrade' will do Debian version
> upgrade (distribution) or will it upgrade libstdc++?

It will do both if there is a newer version of the standard c++
library. The apt-get man page explains all this.

> Sorry for too many confusions in my mail. I am new in using the
> debian package maintenance system.

No problem, we were all new at this at one time.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn..net
gpg public key: http://www.gregn..net/pubkey.asc