Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Intel processor microcode security update

On Sat, 07 Sep 2013, Elimar Riesebieter wrote:
> * Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> [2013-09-03 09:05 -0300]:
> > You must also update the initramfs so that the processor microcode will be
> > updated after a reboot/power off.  The packages will try to do it
> > automatically for the running kernel and that should be enough for most
> > users.
> >
> > However, if you use several different kernels, please update all the
> > initramfs images running "update-initramfs -k all -u" as root.
>
> My kernels don't need initramfs images. How to handle this?

The two easy ways are: either you start using initramfs, or you
need to make sure the microcode driver is a module (it is a module in the
standard Debian kernel), and that it is loaded on boot (add it to
/etc/modules).

More details are available in the intel-microcode package's documentation.

  Henrique Holschuh