Re: No sound on Debian SID ufter upgrade

On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 07:49:17 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 2013-08-25 at 01:57 +0100, Sharon Kimble wrote:
> > I genuinely don’t know what to do when my box loses
> > sound. Its happened in just 20 minutes, whilst I was eating my tea,
> > and I came back to find no sound at all. I tried restarting alsa,
> > restarted mpd, neither of which worked, and I didn’t fancy killing
> > the dbus-launch so I just had to reboot. What else could I have
> > done please?
>
> I've got no idea where to start troubleshooting, so I would start
> troubleshooting non-selective with mixer settings and the used sound
> server. Is pulseaudio installed?

Yes, pulseaudio is installed but disabled, it never runs and its not
needed either. Pure alsa only :)

I have on several occasions recently had kde and its phonon backend ask
to forget some media hardware, except it wants to forget the default
sound card! So every time I say no, but do just wonder whats causing it
and can I stop it?

I've also got a 'START' script - SUSE Terminal Audio Reporting Tool.
But since I've got the script I cant remember the machine dropping the
sound, perhaps its too scared to now? :) I also came across this little
gem yesterday, but haven’t had the opportunity to try it out - try
'alsa force-reload && /etc/init.d/mpd restart' when sound lost.

So, several things to try, if and when the sound falls off its perch
again.

Sharon.
Debian testing, Fluxbox 1.3.5, LibreOffice 4.1.0.4
Registered Linux user 334501