Re: OT: sudo questions

Since everyone is giving away their bits os appreciation, I felt like
giving mine.

My first ever GNU/Linux distro was some old Red Hat, which I couldn't
handle well and was dropped in favor of Suse. Once again I had trouble
with network hardware and was forced to dive in the command line with
almost no understanding and no one to help. "tar -xvzf", what the hell?!

So I did a long search around, since I had absolutely no idea where I
was getting into. Back then I used to think that what was getting in the
way of free software were usability and shinny. Tried gNewSense and
again, had to go offroads and take chances messing around to just make
my wireless card work. While researching three distros were always
popping up as being the base, where true hackers lived: arch, debian and
slackware.

Since my main reason to moving was an ethical one but I was already
experiencing a lot of difficulty, debian's promises sounded the most
appealing. Non-free software only for vital tasks, usually firmware, not
by default and hopefully no more. A path, not a total jump in the abyss.
Moreover, community sounded more central issue. No ties. No boss. No
leader, no guarantees. Debian is inseparable of its community. It grows
with community, it is the result of communitarian work on its own needs.
If some software becomes unmantained, it's because less people rely or
care for it, not because someone atop had the hipster idea of the month.

In someways I think that debian incarnates better the "world to come of
free software". It is now the dream of a future society were we got over
money and started working for meaningful reasons. We already have the
technology and the intel on how to build and deliver goods throughout
the world, money just distorts how it's done. What applies to software
applies to physical goods.

Funny I never *really* tried other distros, debian became addiction.
Something I can never get the time because I'm also felling shorthanded
before my debian peers and willing to give something back from all the
help I found in this community. Oh, and the shell... what a shinny
little thing, full of secrets.

http://www.loldongs.dk/ShowImage.asp?lol=8412