Re: sudo questions

On 8/19/13, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
> Joel Rees wrote:
>> Maybe I need to file a feature request (for my own satisfaction, even
>> if it gets rejected).
>>
>> What I lean towards is providing the installing user
>> (1) the opportunity to set the root password,
>> (2) the opportunity to set a separate admin account and password
>> (member of sudo group on debian),
>> and (3) the opportunity to set a separate non-admin work account and
>> password.
>
> I know you would like the installer to do exactly what your custom
> strategy is for your system.  But that is difficult.  There are many
> custom strategies.  For example I have my own things that I always
> customize when setting up a new system.  Other people have other
> strategies.  It is impossible to be the Univerial Operating System and
> make everyone happy.  At least not all at the same time.  If you

Ahem!

Debian IS! THE! Universal! Operating! System!
</raucus applause>

Thank you everybody. Been a please talking tonight ... enjoy Debian.

:)

On a more hair splitting note, we could say it is Universal, at the
price of being a little more generic sometimes than it could otherwise
be.

This is a positive note, since we are naming Debian as universal in
more ways than one!

Eg:
 - runs on every arch
 - runs all software
 - runs well on a very broad spectrum of resources
    - eg constrained
    - eg massive resources
 - runs in (almost) every way you'd like

I mean, WOW!

Fellow humans, this Debian thing is like OFF THE CHARTS!

But of course, the set of
(installation preferred default sets)
+(menu options lists short enough to be sensible)
+(reasonable installation image size)

is perhaps the empty set.

Oh well.
Perhaps we should rename Debian "The hopefully universal enough"
Operating System?

:)
Zenaan