Re: lxde and focus follow mouse... not happening

Harry Putnam wrote:
> Bob Proulx writes:
> > Ralph Katz wrote:
> >> Also of course:
> >> ~$ ls -l /etc/alternatives/x-window-manager
> >
> > I think the alternatives tool is better.
> >   $ update-alternatives --list x-window-manager
> >   $ update-alternatives --list x-session-manager
> > Then to configure it:
> >   # update-alternatives --config x-session-manager
>
> I must really not be following what that tool is supposed to show me.

It shows you programs that are available to act as alternatives for
the generic name.  When there are different equivalent programs for
the same thing.  Some generic names are awk (mawk, gawk), vi (elvis,
nvi, vim.gtk, vim.tiny), emacs (emacs23, emacs24), editor (emacs, vi,
nano, mcedit).  And all of those others such as www-browser (elinks,
links, lynx, w3m), x-session-manager (gnome-session, lxsession,
xfce4-session), x-terminal-emulator (gnome-terminal, lxterm, konsole,
xterm), x-window-manager (awesome, fvwm2, metacity, openbox, twm),
x-www-browser (chromium, epiphany-browser, iceweasel, midori).

Enabling customization is one of the reasons we call Debian the
Universial Operating System.  Your system for you.  My system for me.
Both runing Debian.  But each customized for our specific needs.  The
Debian Alternatives is a customization framework.

Some time ago I wrote this message where I try to describe how the
alternatives system works.  The particular item is a little dated now
but I think the general concepts are all still relevant.  Scroll down
past the top and get down to the walk through of installing and
uninstalling packages that use the alternatives and hopefully it will
still be useful to describe how things work.

> On my system it shows
>   update-alternatives --list x-window-manager
>   /usr/bin/awesome
>   /usr/bin/blackbox
>   /usr/bin/metacity
>   /usr/bin/openbox
>   /usr/bin/startfluxbox
>
> But the desktop I'm running is XLDE... which is not even listed
> there.

LXDE is a session manager not a window manager.  To see what session
manager alternatives are installed you would need to look at those.
List the x-session-manager alternatives not x-window-manager.

  $ update-alternatives --list x-session-manager

Probably you will have lxsession in there.

As far as your question about LXDE if I look at:

  $ apt-cache show lxde-core | grep Depends:
  Depends: desktop-file-utils, lxde-common, lxpanel, openbox, pcmanfm (>= 0.9.8)

By default LXDE will use openbox if no other window manager is
specified.  I see openbox in your list.  I don't know if that is what
you have configured on your system.  But I assume you have LXDE as
your desktop session manager and have openbox as your window manager.

I should have suggested --display to display all of the details.

  update-alternatives --display x-window-manager
  update-alternatives --display x-session-manager

That will show the current settings too as well as more verbose
information.

  x-session-manager - auto mode
    link currently points to /usr/bin/lxsession
  x-window-manager - auto mode
    link currently points to /usr/bin/openbox

But the current settings for you will depend upon what you have
installed and if you have made any customizations.

Bob