lxde and focus follow mouse... not happening

set for focus to follow mouse but still it does not happen.

Details:
Running an lxde desktop. I'm setup for ~/.xinitrc to invoke lxde.

I dug around in the settings and found where I could set 'focus follows
mouse' so that windows 'raise' when the mouse goes over them.  And I
could set the time in milliseconds for the raise to happen.

All familiar stuff... other than finding where to make the settings in
the GUI.

There are actually two places:

1) From the top panel menu item Applications/ System Tools /
   preferences / openbox conifuration manager / then on the tabs
   on left of window chose 'Mouse'

[x] Focus windows when the mouse pointer moves over them

[...]

[x] Raise windows when mouse pointer moves over them

  Delay before focusing ... 600 Milisec
-------       -------       ---=---       -------       -------

2) Applications / System tools / preferences / Advanced settings /
   then from the list on left chose 'Windows'
   "Window focus mode 'Mouse'

So I have both set as indicated, but still, even after a reboot I
don't have focus following mouse.

Open and overlap two xterms move the mouse to the one partially under
the other and it should be raised withing 600 miliseconds, which his
just a bit over 1/2 second.

NOTHING HAPPENS.

So I checked the text (xml) config file found at:
~/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml, and sure enough I found the setting:

(asterisks at key lines added -hp)

<focus>
    <focusNew>yes</focusNew>
    <!-- always try to focus new windows when they appear. other rules do
       apply -->
*** <followMouse>yes</followMouse>
    <!-- move focus to a window when you move the mouse into it -->
    <focusLast>yes</focusLast>
    <!-- focus the last used window when changing desktops, instead of the one
       under the mouse pointer. when followMouse is enabled -->
    <underMouse>no</underMouse>
    <!-- move focus under the mouse, even when the mouse is not moving -->
    <focusDelay>600</focusDelay>
    <!-- when followMouse is enabled, the mouse must be inside the window for
       this many milliseconds (1000 = 1 sec) before moving focus to it
    -->
*** <raiseOnFocus>yes</raiseOnFocus>
    <!-- when followMouse is enabled, and a window is given focus by moving the
       mouse into it, also raise the window -->
  </focus>

Ok, so what else to do to make focus follow mouse?

Oh PS - I rebooted after making and checking all settings just to make
sure that they had all been started.