openvpn question

Hi all.

Since attempting to establish an ipsec connection is one of the two
things so far that crashes my VPS (earlier thread on this
list), I've been looking at other alternatives for possible workarounds. Let me backup, and
describe what I want to do. I have a publicly routable /29 subnet
with my VPS. I want to have the ability to connect to the VPS, and
give a client (gnu/linux, or windows) a static IP address through the
VPS. My original plan to do this was to use ipsec/l2tp, which I know
how to set up, and I've seen this type of setup in action.

It seemed after doing some research that openvpn should be able to do
this. After installing openvpn and reading up on it though, I keep
running into the limitation that server/client must communicate over
an unused subnet, and both have addresses on that subnet. Is there
something I'm missing here, or won't openvpn in fact do what I'm
after? If the answer is no, I suppose I can use openvpn to establish
an openvpn connection using private addresses, and then do pptp/ppp
over that connection. Kludgey, but should work in theory. I don't trust
pptp/ppp by itself over the open net. I know there are other options
here, like ppp over ssh, but windows is the show stopper here as far
as I know. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1