Re: How to recover after unintentional 'dpkg --unpack' ? (was ... Re: Dpkg SNAFU was Re: Oops!)

On Sun, 11 Aug 2013, Kailash wrote:

> On Sunday 11 August 2013 10:39 AM, Dom wrote:

> >> Fortunately --unpack just "installed" files to their appropriate
> >> directories, but didn't "trigger" or configure anything.  Not all
> >> that up on dpkg. Have always used apt-get.
> >>
> >> If I don't hear anything bad to the contrary in the next day or
> >> so, I'm just going to use "--purge" to remove the package after
> >> creating a copy of the file I need in a safe directory, then copy
> >> the copy back after the purging.  Hopefully, it will work.
> >
> > Good luck with that, it sounds like it will work.
> >
> > Alternatively you can get a list of the files contained in the .deb
> > file using "dpkg -c debfile". With a little bit of wrangling that
> > will give you a list of files and directories to delete - although
> > you should only delete directories if they are empty.
> >
> Hi,
>
> As per the man pages: http://linuxreviews.org/man/dpkg/
>
> dpkg -s <package-name>
>
> will give you the status of a package. As per the man file, it should
> show the status as "unpacked".

Did this first thing after the "unpack."  Status is "installed"
however.  Don't know why.

> dpkg --purge
>
> should work as expected. To make sure that it does work as expected
> you can add add the --no-act option which will ensure that no changes
> are written.

Sometimes things don't work as expected, but "purge" seems the best
option to "clean" my system of the unneeded files/directories.

Yes, I was going to use "--no-act" (or similar) with verbose output to
check for problems before doing it for real.

> caveat: Be sure to give --no-act before the action-parameter, or you
> might end up with undesirable results. (e.g. dpkg --purge foo
> --no-act will first purge package foo and then try to purge package
> --no-act, even though you probably expected it to actually do nothing)

Thanks.  That point is made in the dpkg man file.  After the initial
unpack snafu, I read the man more thoroughly.

Thanks for your advice.