Re: How to recover after unintentional 'dpkg --unpack' ? (was ... Re: Dpkg SNAFU was Re: Oops!)

On 11/08/13 03:43, Patrick Bartek wrote:
On Sun, 11 Aug 2013, Chris Bannister wrote:

On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 06:13:20PM +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:
Changing subject as suggested by Chris, and reposting original
question.

Still an unhelpful question, esp when one knows the true meaning of
SNAFU

have resulted in Gnome being install, too.  More or less.  So I
just did as root in /root a 'dpkg --download,' and then an
'--unpack' thinking that would uncompress the .deb file in /root
from which I would get the single svg file I needed, and then just
delete everything else.  Simple. Right?  Wrong. Now, I'm stuck with
about 4.5 megs of Gnome data, icons,

AFAIU, a .deb file is just an 'ar' archive.

As to how to recover after an unintentional unpack, ... dunno.
Hopefully someone on this list knows now that the subject explains
your predicament.

Fortunately --unpack just "installed" files to their appropriate
directories, but didn't "trigger" or configure anything.  Not all that
up on dpkg. Have always used apt-get.

If I don't hear anything bad to the contrary in the next day or so, I'm
just going to use "--purge" to remove the package after creating
a copy of the file I need in a safe directory, then copy the copy back
after the purging.  Hopefully, it will work.

Good luck with that, it sounds like it will work.

Alternatively you can get a list of the files contained in the .deb file using "dpkg -c debfile". With a little bit of wrangling that will give you a list of files and directories to delete - although you should only delete directories if they are empty.

--
Dom