Re: How to recover after unintentional 'dpkg --unpack' ? (was ... Re: Dpkg SNAFU was Re: Oops!)

On Sun, 11 Aug 2013, Dom wrote:

> On 11/08/13 03:43, Patrick Bartek wrote:

> >> Still an unhelpful question, esp when one knows the true meaning of
> >> SNAFU

> >> AFAIU, a .deb file is just an 'ar' archive.
> >>
> >> As to how to recover after an unintentional unpack, ... dunno.
> >> Hopefully someone on this list knows now that the subject explains
> >> your predicament.
> >
> > Fortunately --unpack just "installed" files to their appropriate
> > directories, but didn't "trigger" or configure anything.  Not all
> > that up on dpkg. Have always used apt-get.
> >
> > If I don't hear anything bad to the contrary in the next day or so,
> > I'm just going to use "--purge" to remove the package after creating
> > a copy of the file I need in a safe directory, then copy the copy
> > back after the purging.  Hopefully, it will work.
>
> Good luck with that, it sounds like it will work.
>
> Alternatively you can get a list of the files contained in the .deb
> file using "dpkg -c debfile". With a little bit of wrangling that
> will give you a list of files and directories to delete - although
> you should only delete directories if they are empty.

I did that.  Quite a long list.  Too long (and too much trouble) to
manually delete the files and/or directories.  Even thought of
building a script that used the list to automate it.  But one little
mistake and my system could be trashed.  Safer to just use --purge.

Thanks for your advice.