How to recover after unintentional 'dpkg --unpack' ? (was ... Re: Dpkg SNAFU was Re: Oops!)

On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 06:13:20PM +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> Changing subject as suggested by Chris, and reposting original question.

Still an unhelpful question, esp when one knows the true meaning of
SNAFU

> have resulted in Gnome being install, too.  More or less.  So I just did
> as root in /root a 'dpkg --download,' and then an '--unpack' thinking
> that would uncompress the .deb file in /root from which I would get the
> single svg file I needed, and then just delete everything else.  Simple.
> Right?  Wrong. Now, I'm stuck with about 4.5 megs of Gnome data, icons,

AFAIU, a .deb file is just an 'ar' archive.

As to how to recover after an unintentional unpack, ... dunno. Hopefully
someone on this list knows now that the subject explains your
predicament.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X