Re: Please don't cause unneeded traffic for TOR

On Thu, 2013-07-25 at 01:07 -0300, André Nunes Batista wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-07-24 at 11:28 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > On Tue, 2013-07-23 at 13:18 -0300, André Nunes Batista wrote:
> > > Privacy is a fundamental human right.
> >
> > Full ACK!
> >
> > But it doesn't make sense to use TOR to access a facebook account.
> >
> > My words are "Please don't cause _unneeded_ traffic for TOR", I don't
> > ask you not to use TOR.
> >
> > If I'm mistaken, then please explain me why it does protect your data,
> > if you give it to facebook by using TOR.
> >
> > I'm willing to learn.
> >
> > TIA,
> > Ralf
> >

> First of all, you can combine it with other tools to avoid geolocation.

TOR does this already, you don't need to use a proxy or what ever in
addition, but usually users give this information, the averaged computer
users even twitter what they are doing.

> Facebook knows exactly what you want facebook to know.

My last line manager, a women with academic degree, I don't have one,
was surprised because I know too much about her. I said that I simply
read what she has written on facebook, while I don't have a facebook
account myself. She replied that this can't be the truth, since it's
closed data only a few people are allowed to read this.

I didn't hack her account, I simply used firefox. She wasn't aware that
all her data is public and even if it wouldn't be public, it would be
available or the NSA, less important IMO, but very dangerous is, that
all her data is available for marketing.

Btw. she had to pay a very high fine, because somebody uploaded non free
music illegally, but she claimed that she had to pay because somebody
downloaded the data. She is to stupid to understand that in Germany the
upload is a crime, not the download and even after that attack, she
didn't changed her wireless security settings, a friend should do it for
her sometime.

I'm sure when the friend sometime changes the wireless settings, she
will get TOR too ;).

You expect that averaged computer users have knowledge or even care
about their data. At the moment they only care, because they
misunderstand what's happening. If they would understand and really
care, then they wouldn't use facebook, twitter, etc., they wouldn't use
smart phones or even oldish mobiles, they wouldn't pay with plastic and
collect discount scores with special discount score cards, they would
care about trackers etc. pp..

They don't care! They think that using TOR will protect them, but it
doesn't.

Btw. I read the facebook side of a girl friend I had in the age of 14.
Assumed she would be from interest for the NSA, they only need to ask
teachers and mates to get the information that's written on facebook,
assumed the data would be protected by facebook. She seemingly didn't
change her personality within the last > 30 years

It's funny, maybe Edward Snowden isn't a whistle-blower, but part of a
marketing strategy from the USA. "Note! We know everything about
everybody! You can't harm the USA! We know about you!"

What they know is nearly nothing! With our without a high amount of
data. Sure, they know a little bit, industrial espionage, they know
about some terrorists etc. but again, that's their job. Nobody should be
surprised. The failed banks etc. are more dangerous for you and me anjd
TOR also won't protect us against failed banks and all the other evil.

This would be the easy way! "Get rid of all evil, you only need to use
TOR for browsing the web!" in addition to TOR just a chain of lights is
needed, than the world will be ok.

Regards,
Ralf